FACEBOOK STANDS BY WHATS APP LIMITS, DESPITE BRAZIL ELECTION TURMOIL

Facebook Inc’s (FB.O) messaging service WhatsApp has no plans to change its group messaging limits in Brazil, an executive said on Tuesday, resisting calls from the leading presidential candidate to allow easier forwarding of viral messages.

Jair Bolsonaro, the far-right lawmaker forecast to clinch the race on Sunday, vowed last week to “fight” to let users forward text, audio and video messages to hundreds of contacts on a platform that has become a key political battleground.

With few traditional campaign resources and almost no TV ads until this month, Bolsonaro stormed to the front of a crowded presidential race with an outsized social media presence and grassroots organizing via WhatsApp and other online platforms.

“We’re pretty comfortable with that number 20,” Victoria Grand, vice president of policy and communications at WhatsApp, told journalists in Sao Paulo on Tuesday. She called the policy as an “experiment” that “could change over time.”

With just five days to go before the vote, she said there was no way that WhatsApp could change those limits before Brazilians choose their next president. She highlighted efforts to shut down accounts engaged in spamming activity, along with a marketing campaign encouraging users to be skeptical of rumors.

PACKAGES IDENTIFIED AS POTENTIAL EXPLOSIVE DEVICES SENT TO HOMES OF BARACK OBAMA, HILLARY CLINTON
The U.S. Secret Service said on October 24 that it had intercepted packages, identified as potential explosive devices, sent to the homes of former President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The Secret Service said it recovered a single package addressed to Hillary Clinton in Westchester, a suburb north of Manhattan on October 23, and one addressed to the Obama residence in Washington on October 24.

“The packages were immediately identified during routine mail screening procedures as potential explosive devices and were appropriately handled as such,” the Secret Service said.

CNN’S NEW YORK HEADQUARTERS EVACUATED AFTER SUSPICIOUS PACKAGE FOUND
The Time Warner Center in New York City was evacuated Wednesday morning after police were called about a suspicious package there. The evacuation came as news broke about suspicious packages being sent to the White House, former President Barack Obama and former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. The news network CNN, whose headquarters are in the Time Warner Center, was broadcasting out of its Washington, D.C. bureau after the evacuation. Anchors Jim Sciutto and Poppy Harlow have pulled off the air as alarms went off in the building. Watch the moment above.

REAL MADRID APPROACH CONTE
Antonio Conte has been approached by representatives of Real Madrid president Florentino Perez over his availability, according to reports. Conte is Perez's first choice to replace current head coach Julen Lopetegui should he be sacked from his role at the Bernabeu.

Lopetegui was appointed Zinedine Zidane's successor in June but already finds himself under pressure after winning just six of his 13 games in charge of the club.

Perez's representatives have made contact with Conte, who has been away from football since he was replaced by compatriot Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea in July.

Reportedly, the former Italy manager rejected the chance to join Real Madrid last summer in order to take a break from football following his departure from Stamford Bridge.

SUSPICIOUS PACKAGE  SENT TO OFFICES OF CONGRESSWOMAN IN FLORIDA AND NYC GOV. ANDREW CUOMO
A suspicious package sent to a Florida building housing the offices of Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Florida congresswoman and a former Democratic National Committee member, was being investigated Wednesday as a string of explosive devices were sent to several high-profile recipients.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo also said he was informed that a suspicious package had been sent to his office in Manhattan, adding that the device “has been identified and is being handled as we speak.” “We wouldn’t be surprised" if more devices show up, Cuomo said.

The US Secret Service announced Wednesday it had intercepted explosives sent to Bill and Hillary Clinton in New York, as well as former President Barack Obama’s home in Washington. A suspicious package was also being investigated within the vicinity of a California building housing the offices of Senator Kamala Harris as well as the San Diego Union Tribune. Another one was also sent to CNN headquarters in New York City this morning.

Police in Florida confirmed they were investigating the possible suspicious package sent to the lawmaker’s Sunrise offices after a Broward Sheriff’s Office bomb squad unit and firefighters were deployed to the scene.

Elon Musk Says Twitter  Blocked Him After Bitcoin Tweet
Elon Musk says Twitter briefly blocked him because the tech firm suspected his account had been hacked. The Tesla chief indicated the safety precaution was prompted by a tweet he had sent asking: "Wanna buy some Bitcoin?"

Several fake accounts have previously used images of Mr Musk and variations of his name to promote cryptocurrency scams, sometimes within replies to his posts.

Twitter declined to comment. "For privacy and security reasons, we don't comment on individual accounts," explained a spokeswoman.

However, the account was locked down rather than "blocked".

Mr Musk's suspect tweet had featured an anime drawing of a girl wearing Bitcoin-themed clothing.

TRUMP CONDEMNS  POTENTIAL EXPLOSIVES SENT TO CLINTON, OBAMA, CNN AS 'DESPICABLE ACTS'
Authorities are investigating potential explosives sent to CNN and liberal political figures including former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and billionaire donor George Soros, as the White House denounced the “terrorizing acts.”

Details are still emerging about the suspected bombs, and authorities have not offered any information about any potential suspects. But the rash of packages to some of President Donald Trump's avowed rivals has injected a tense new dimension into the final stretch before the midterm elections.

Trump on Wednesday afternoon said that a major federal investigation is currently underway, and said that the government will "bring those responsible for these despicable acts to justice."

"I just want to tell you that in these times, we have to unify, we have to come together, and send one very clear, strong, unmistakable message that acts or threats of political violence of any kind have no place in the United States of America," the president said, despite his own track record of engaging in divisive and, at times, violent rhetoric. He also did not mention CNN.

Trump said that investigators "will spare no resources or expense in this effort." "We're extremely angry, upset, unhappy about what we witnessed this morning and we will get to the bottom of it," Trump concluded.

RIYADH WOULD NOT HAVE MURDERED KHASHOGGI WITHOUT U.S. PROTECTION
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday that Saudi Arabia would not have murdered prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi without American protection, according to the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA). U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday Saudi authorities staged the “worst cover-up ever” in the killing of Khashoggi in Turkey this month, as Washington vowed to revoke the visas of some of those believed to be responsible.

“No one would imagine that in today’s world and a new century that we would witness such an organized murder and a system would plan out such a heinous murder,” Rouhani said, according to IRNA. “I don’t think that a country would dare commit such a crime without the protection of America.” Khashoggi’s death in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2 has triggered global outrage.

FBI  RELEASES STATEMENT ON SUSPICIOUS PACKAGES, SAYS ALL 5 ARE BEING ANALYSED AT A LAB IN VIRGINIA
The FBI says five packages containing explosives targeting Hillary Clinton, former President Barack Obama, CNN and others are being analyzed at the bureau’s lab in Virginia.

“This investigation is of the highest priority for the FBI. We have committed the full strength of the FBI’s resources and, together with our partners on our Joint Terrorism Task Forces, we will continue to work to identify and arrest whoever is responsible for sending these packages,” said FBI Director Christopher Wray. “We ask anyone who may have information to contact the FBI. Do not hesitate to call; no piece of information is too small to help us in this investigation,” the statement read.

The agency says each package had a return address of “DEBBIE WASSERMAN SHULTZ,” a misspelling of the Florida congresswoman’s name. The FBI confirmed all of the packages had printed address labels and six stamps.

The first of the packages was found Monday at the suburban New York compound of liberal billionaire George Soros. The package delivered to CNN on Wednesday was addressed to former CIA Director John Brennan.

Another package was addressed to former Attorney General Eric Holder. The FBI says that package did not reach its intended destination and was rerouted to the return address on the envelope in Florida.

"The FBI will continue to work with our federal law enforcement partners at the United States Secret Service, United States Postal Inspection Service, and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, as well as our state and local law enforcement partners, to identify and arrest the person or people responsible for sending these packages."

SHARE