NIGERIA NEWS TODAY

APC FIRES BACK AT PDP OVER BUHARI’S COMMENT ON NIGERIANS MIGRATING TO EUROPE
                                     

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Sunday said the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration is committed to mitigating the migration crisis Nigerians are facing, particularly in Libya and in the Mediterranean Sea.


The party stated this in a statement issued by Yekini Nabena, its National Publicity Secretary, in reaction to comments made by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on the issue.

He condemned attempts by the PDP to politicise Buhari’s statement on illegal migration and trafficking of Nigerians during the recent visit of the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel to Nigeria.

Nabena said: “The PDP in its typical insensitive and unguarded stance on matters affecting the country is exploiting an issue that borders to on the lives of Nigerians, mostly youths.

“It is a known fact that many Nigerian families have suffered grief as a result of deaths and other inhuman treatment that have befell relatives attempting migration to Europe and other parts of the world.

“Through support of international agreements and efforts towards curbing illegal migration, repatriation of stranded Nigerian migrants and addressing root causes encouraging illegal migration of Nigerians, the President Buhari administration has demonstrated the political will to check the scourge”.

He recalled the presidential directive for Nigerians to be evacuated from Libya and other locations and be returned home safely.

Nabena said the administration had already put in place several interventionist programmes to enable such persons start new and productive lives in the country.

He noted that with unemployment and poverty identified as one of the root causes of illegal migration, the Buhari administration was using initiatives to check the ugly trend.

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL LAUDS FG OVER TRIAL OF BOKO HARAM SUSPECTS
Amnesty International, a London based non-governmental organisation focused on human rights has commended the federal government over trial of suspected Boko Haram terrorists. Amnesty International described the ongoing litigation as good progress for the justice sector.

Country director of the human rights organisation, Osai Ojigho, in a letter addressed to the attorney general of the Federation, minister of Justice Abubakar Malami (SAN), expressed satisfaction with the legal process. Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed in a statement said a copy of the letter was made available to his office. According to the statement signed by his special adviser, Mr Segun Adeyemi, the minister noted that delegates of Amnesty International were invited to observe the proceedings.

He explained that Amnesty International confirmed that its delegates, who were invited to observe the proceedings at the third phase of the trial at Wawa Military Cantonment, Kainji, New Bussa, Niger State, between 8th and 11th July, 2018, certified that the suspects were treated with respect and decorum. The letter reads in part: “Amnesty International has repeatedly and unequivocally condemned the attacks by members of Boko Haram.

We have repeatedly urged the Nigerian government to conduct thorough and independent investigations into the alleged human rights violations and abuses, with a view to bringing suspected perpetrators to justice in a fair trial without recourse to the death penalty and this indeed is a good progress for the justice sector.” The organisation, however, expressed the hope that it will also be invited to observe future trials.

WORLD LEADERS WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH NIGERIA - LAI MOHAMMED

The Minister of Information and Culture Alhaji Lai Mohammed says Nigeria is getting global attention because of the incorruptible leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari.

The Minister stated this on Sunday when he appeared as guest on a Nigeria Television Authority programme, "Stepping Up".

"What we have witnessed recently have shown beyond doubt that Nigeria is today an investors' destination.

"Last week we received British Prime Minister, Theresa May. During the visit, several bilateral agreements were signed.

"Friday of the same week, we received German Chancellor, Angela Merkel. Several bilateral agreements were also signed

"The global leaders are coming to Nigeria because this government is providing good leadership in the areas of security and infrastructure.

"The perception globally about the government is that it is providing an incorruptible leadership, a government that you can do business with, without fear."

"In one year alone, we climbed 24 steps in the ladder of ease of doing business.

"These are all the things they have seen that are attracting them to cone to partner and invest".

The minister said the three cardinal goals driving the administration's success were, "focus, discipline and integrity"

CHOLERA OUTBREAK - DEATH TOLL RISES TO 47 IN KATSINA
About 18 people are feared dead in Charanchi Local Government Area of Katsina State, while 24 others are currently hospitalised following the outbreak of cholera in the council. The current casualty brings the figure of the dead to 47.

The outbreak, which had recently claimed 29 lives and about 181 cases, were recorded in Funtua, Kusada, Kaita, Ingawa, Katsina and Kankia Local Government Areas of the state.

The recent outbreak, which occurred on Saturday, had caused panic among residents in the affected communities.

Other villages affected by the deadly outbreak in Charanchi Local Government included Malole and Manye where eight persons tested positive and are responding to treatment at the Comprehensive Healthcare Clinic, Charanchi.

The Caretaker Committee Chairman of Charanchi Local Government, Yusuf Abubakar Radda, who confirmed the outbreak to newsmen in a statement in Katsina, Saturday night, however, said the council had procured medication to support the patients.

Radda reaffirmed that the officials of the state Ministry of Health and the State Primary Health Care Development Agency (SPHCDA) were still making efforts to curtail the spread of the disease in the 34 local government areas of the state.

His said: "We have provided drugs to the victims. Those that are in the hospital are responding to treatment. Arrangements are on the pipeline to ensure that those receiving treatment survive. Therefore, I am calling on the state government to come to our rescue."

He called on the state government under the leadership of Governor Aminu Bello Masari and other relevant authorities to come to the aid of the local government by providing additional vaccines, considering the devastating effect of the disease.

The caretaker committee chairman further admonished residents to embrace personal hygiene in order to avert future occurrence of the incident.

FG OKAYS $1.3BN FOR LAGOS-IBADAN EXPRESSWAY, 4 OTHER PROJECTS

The Federal Government has set aside $1.3bn (about N468bn) from the National Sovereign Investment Fund to finance five critical infrastructure projects.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, disclosed this on Sunday when he appeared as guest on a Nigerian Television Authority programme, “Stepping Up”.

The minister said the five ongoing projects to benefit from the funds included the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway construction, the second Niger bridge and the East-West road construction.

The other two are the Abuja-Kano Expressway construction and the Mambilla power project.

He said President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration was committed to infrastructure development across Nigeria and would continue to revive and complete all abandoned projects inherited from previous administration.

The minister said, “We believed that rather than starting new projects, it will benefit Nigerians to complete all inherited abandoned projects.

“To appreciate the commitment of the administration to infrastructure, in 2014, Nigeria spent N14bn on transportation, N34bn on water resources and agriculture and N106bn on power, works and housing.

“In 2017, this administration spent N107bn on transportation, N130bn on agriculture and water resources and N325bn on power, works and housing.

“The administration, in a manner unprecedented in the history of the country, spent a total of N2.7tn on capital projects in 2016 and 2017 alone.”

SHARE